Apple and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Fresh apple complements the sweetness of roasted butternut squash and when combined with the right spices adds a satisfying sweetness to your soup!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 11g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 19g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, cored and sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric or freshly grated root
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ cups almond milk
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth (more if too thick)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, extra for garnish
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the squash with a sharp potato peeler.
- Cut in half and scoop out seeds; cut butternut squash into cubes
- Toss cubes with a 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until tender.
SAUTÉ THE VEGETABLES
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots, onions, garlic, carrot and apple slices in coconut oil. Add roasted squash cubes stir.
- Add the spices, stirring to coat vegetable, cook for an additional few minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, almond and coconut milks, and apple cider vinegar, stirring to blend.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
PUREE THE SOUP
- With an immersion blender or in small amounts in your Vitamix, blend on high (being careful as liquid is very hot) until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper seasonings to taste.
- Serve immediately topped with some fresh cilantro and a little more coconut milk swirled through if desired
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/