Autumn Roots Vegetarian Stew
Delicious stew for a chilly fall supper
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 36g
Saturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 25g
Total Carbohydrates 100g
Dietary Fiber 17g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 5 Tbs olive oil (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed/minced
- 1 tsp dried Herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 lb seitan, cut into 1/4" slices or chunks
- 1 c cabernet wine
- 2-8 small white onions or 1 whole onion chopped
- 6-8 small fingerling sweet potatoes, cut in bite size pieces
- (or use 1 medium sweet potato, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 small golden beets, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 parsnips, cut into bit size pieces
- 1 cup small button mushrooms (or oyster mushrooms) (optional)
- 5 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil; drained and diced
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 Tbs tamari sauce
- 1.5 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 2 Tbs cold water
- 2 large bunches swiss chard, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs water
- 1. Combine 2 Tbs of olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl. Add chucks or strips of seitan and rub oil mixture over all pieces of seitan. Place seitan in shallow bowl and add wine. Cover and refrigerate to marinate seitan for 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove seitan from marinade with slotted spoon to drain, reserving marinade for gravy.
- 3. Heat 1 Tbs of olive in large skillet on medium high. Add seitan slices/chunks and brown on both sides. Remove the seitan from skillet and set aside.
- 4. Add 1 Tbs oil to skillet and return to medium heat. Add vegetables and brown quickly all over, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to oven-safe casserole dish and add 1/2 c vegetable stock. Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes.
- 5. Add browned seitan and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- 6. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine the remaining 2 cups vegetable stock, diced sundried tomatoes, and reserved marinade. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes to reduce. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and boil, stirring constant;ly until sauce is thickened.
- 7. In same large skillet you prepared seitan in, add remaining oil and heat on medium. Add chopped swiss chard, stirring into oil. Add 1Tbs water and 1 Tbs lemon juice. Reduce heat to low. Simmer covered 4-8 minuts to wilt.
- 8. Remove casserole from oven when done. Add gravy, gently stirring to coat vegetables.
- Serve stew over a bed of wilted Swiss chard.
- Seitan is the protein part of wheat and is a gluten product.
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/