Deliciously Detoxifying Pesto
Pesto - perfect for veggie dip, spread for salads, sauce for pasta and veggie dishes!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 2g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cup washed, loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh sorrel leaves, cilantro, or mint
- 2 sun dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ to ½ cup quality, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- sea salt, to taste
- Combine the basil, sorrel, sun dried tomatoes, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor bowl; pulse and process the mixture until it is finely chopped. Slowly add extra virgin olive oil in a steady drizzle, starting with just 1/4 cup, as you pulse the processor on and off. Process until it becomes a smooth, light paste. Add enough olive oil to keep it moist and spreadable. Season with sea salt. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to saturate the flavors. If storing overnight, pour a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil over the top of the pesto to help keep it bright green.
- Note: additional dried tomatoes add a deeper, richer flavor, but you will lose the bright green color.
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/