Jeweled Fall Harvest Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash with crisp fall apples over a bed of kale or romaine - refreshing and delicious and pretty enough for your holiday table.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 18g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 4 cups kale, de-stemmed and shredded - or romaine lettuce
- ½ lemon, juiced (will not need lemon juice of you use romaine)
- 1/3 bunch chopped parsley leaves
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash (about 1/2 of a whole butternut squash
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced or cubed (can also use a large Fuji apple)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 3 tablespoons sprouted pumpkin seeds
Ingredients for dressing
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the pumpkin on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Roast the squash in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- De-stem and shred the kale. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, some lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil over the kale and use your hands to massage the kale and soften the fibers.Transfer the kale to a salad bowl. Alternative: tear romaine lettuce into bite size pieces and place in salad bowl.
- Prepare the apples and add to the bowl of kale.
- Once the squash is cooked and cooled, add to the bowl along with the pomegranates and pumpkin seeds.
- Whisk dressing Ingredients together, adding in the water until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Tip: Roast and chill your butternut squash the night before!
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/