Kat's Lemon Meringue Pie
A mountain of deliciousness. This is definitely not on the weight loss menu - however, a slice of pie is always a great treat when you fit it into the 80-20 or 90-10 rule. This mouth watering, scrumptious pie is one you'll proudly serve for special occasions. It's all from scratch and worth every step it takes to make! Directions are set up to walk you through the most effective steps to your own gorgeous pie!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 129
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrates 70g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Baked 9" pie shell with high fluted edges
- 1 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea or Celtic salt
- 1/2 cup organic cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 large organic egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly squeeze organic lemon juice - you may need two lemons
- 3 Tbs butter
- organic finely grated lemon peel from one small to medium lemon
- 4 organic egg whites (from separated egg yolks)
- 1/4 cup organic egg whites (purchase organic egg whites in a carton)
- 1/4 tsp sea or Celtic salt
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- Separate the 4 organic eggs, placing egg whites in large electric mixer bowl and the eggs in a small bowl.
- Wash lemon and grate the peel using a fine grater or micro plane; set aside
- Juice lemons to measure 1/2 cup
- Combine lemon juice with egg yolks slightly beating with a fork; set aside
- In medium size saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups sugar, 1-1/2 cups water, and 1/2 tsp salt with a wire whisk; heat to boiling.
- While sugar water is coming to a bowl, in a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/3 cup water stirring until completely blended to make a smooth paste
- When sugar water reaches boiling point, add the cornstarch paste slowly pouring in a fine stream while whisking constantly; cook, slowly whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and clear...takes several minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in the combined egg yolks and lemon juice into the thickened mixture.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just starts to reach bubbling point.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Cover and set aside to cool until mixture is lukewarm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degree Farenheit
- When mixture is lukewarm, make meringue.
- For meringue, add salt and 1/4 cup egg whites to the 4 egg whites in electric mixer bowl.
- Beat egg whites on high until frothy.
- Very gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until glossy peaks are forms. Test for peaks and be sure not to over beat to avoid dry meringue.
- Pour lukewarm filling into baked pie shell. Top with meringue in dollops, using back of spoon to form peaks.
- Bake pie in slow 325 degree oven 15-20 minutes until meringue is golden brown.
- Remove and let pie completely cool before cutting.
How to Avoid Shrinking Meringue
- Add meringue in big spoonful dollops around edges of pie. With the back of a spoon or a spatula, push meringue into crust all the way around to seal the filling from any air. Add more meringue to middle of pie and continue piling on with big dollops of meringue. Then gently with back of spoon slightly push onto meringue and raise spoon to create a peak.
- Cutting pie while still warm will be very tempting, but allowing it to cool completely, helps ensure a filling that won't "fall" when you cut it.
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/