Onion-Garlic Roasted Chicken
Write a review
1 hr 10 min
1 hr 10 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 4g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 whole organic, preferably humanely raised, chicken
- 6-8 large whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large brown or white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 Bouquet of sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 1. After patting the bird dry, both inside and out, rub the inside of the bird with about 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and salt. Stuff with garlic and onion.
- 2. With the bird breast side up and using a sharp paring knife, gently cut the membrane between the meat and the skin to create a pocket. Stuff with the herb bouquet (it's not necessary to chop herbs), spreading the herbs out as flat as possible.
- 3. Rub the skin with remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle with paprika.
- 4. Place bird breast side down in a rack in roasting pan, tucking wings and legs under the bird.
- Roast 20 minute per pound or until bird tests done with meat thermometor so a not to under or over cook.
- Remove skin. Discard onion and garlic, or chop to accompany other veggies on menu. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before slicing breast meat and carving.
- This chicken will be flavorful, moist and tender. Be sure to roast breast side down so the herbs, onion and garlic along with the juices can self baste the breast meat. There is enough meat on a chicken this size for a family of four or for 2-3 meals for a couple. Cooking a whole chicken allows you to create "planned over meals."
- Planned over chicken meat can be added to soups, casseroles, stir frys and salads. You can slice chicken for sandwiches or diced for a chicken salad filling: Dice chicken, add chopped celery, green onions, apples and nuts. Season with salt and pepper and bind together with a small amount of plain yogurt and squeeze of lemon juice.
- For a couple, cooking a whole chicken often yields 3 meals (and planned over chicken scraps to be added to our little dogs food...she loves organic chicken).
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/