Sprouted Mung Bean Bowl
Quick, easy, and nutritious, stir fried sprouted mung beans, diced zucchini with brown rice.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 115
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrates 104g
Dietary Fiber 22g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup sprouted mung beans
- 1 small zucchini squash, ends trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- Vata Churna spice blend, garlic powder, favorite curry blends, or other favorite spices
- Chop onion. Trim and dice zucchini.
- In small skillet, heat 2 tsp. olive oil to hot over medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and stir while they turn slightly in color.
- Add onions and zucchini, stirring to cook evenly.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Turn heat to low and let cook to heat through.
- Add spices of choice and mix thoroughly.
- Continue to heat on low while stir frying sprouted mung beans.
- Meanwhile, in a second small skillet, heat 2 tsp. olive oil until hot on medium high flame.
- Add mung beans, tossing gently to quickly and lightly cook; remove from flame.
- Turn off flame on skillet with rice mixture.
- To serve, add rice and veggie mixture to bowl. Top with heated mung beans.
- Perfect for those nights when you're eating alone and want a quick dish. This recipe easily doubles or triples for more servings. Great way to use leftover cooked rice.
- Great for a hot breakfast too! If you eat eggs, add a poached egg on top!
- NOTE: There are a lot fewer calories in raw mung beans, 31 calories per cup versus 348 calories in cooked mung beans! Barely heating your mung beans will help retain nutrients and help keep calories down. You can skip stir frying the mung beans and instead top your rice dish with room temperature mung beans for a lot fewer calories!
Kat Maeda http://katmaeda.com/