Brown Rice Pudding
Simple and comforting. This dessert can also double as breakfast and is a great way to use left-over brown rice.
- 2 cups Cooked brown rice Freshly cooked, or this is a great way to use leftover rice!
- 1 1/3 cups Non-dairy milk Almond milk or Ripple brand pea milk (add 7 more grams protein than almond milk)
- 1 tbsp Soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 c Raw honey
- 1/8 tsp sea or Celtic salt
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 4 Fresh eggs
- 1/2 tsp Lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 tsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cu Raisins optional
- Cinnamon or baking spice mix
- Lightly butter a 1 quart souffle or casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Have ready, 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Combine and beat well: milk, salt, honey, butter, vanilla, and eggs
- Stir in to combine: rice, lemon rind, lemon juice, and raisins
- Pour rice/custard mixture into prepared, butter baking dish. Do not cover. Sprinkle with cinnamon or baking spice mixture (Penzey's Baking Spice is great!)Bake the pudding until set, 50-55 minutes. Test with butter knife - if set properly, knife will be clean when you remove from center of pudding. If not set, return to over another few minutes until tests done. Serve hot or cold. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Notes: Leftover rice pudding makes a great breakfast dish- just pour warm coconut milk over the top!