Broccoli Kale Soup with Lemon Garlic Chickpeas
Delicious variation of nutrient dense broccoli soup - our new family favorite!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 493
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 56g
Saturated Fat 7g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 32g
Total Carbohydrates 140g
Dietary Fiber 23g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups broccoli
- 6 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 2 tablespoons miso, mixed in some warm water
- 2-3 cups kale, shredded
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- Half the garlic chickpeas – see recipe below
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic Lemon Chickpeas Ingredients
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well and dried on paper towel
- 1 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Juice ½ large lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Handful chopped parsley
- 1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and dry them on paper towel.
- 2. Heat oil on medium to high in a heavy pot and add chickpeas and garlic stirring so the garlic doesn’t stick.
- 3. Season with salt, pepper and ¼ teaspoon chili flakes.
- 4. Cook, stirring often, until the chickpeas are colored and some are crunchy – add a little more oil if you need to. Cook for about 15 minutes until they start to ‘pop’.
- 5. Finish with lemon juice and a handful of chopped parsley and season with a little more salt and pepper.
- 6. You’ll use half to puree with the soup and reserve the rest for to sprinkle on top of the soup or to mix through salads, or for a snack.
- Prepare Soup
- 1. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a soup pot and sauté leeks and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- 2. Add the chopped broccoli and season, cook for 3-4 minutes
- 3. Add veggie stock and miso bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- 4. Add shredded kale and simmer until it wilts, a few minutes.
- 5. Add half the parsley and half the garlic sautéed chickpeas and lemon juice
- 6. Puree in a blender, in batches, until smooth. Return to pot.
- 7. Check seasoning, and serve with garlic chickpeas on top and some fresh chopped parsley.
- If desired, you can puree half the chickpeas with the soup for a thicker, heartier texture.
Kat Maeda https://katmaeda.com/