Have You Heard of the 80-20 Rule?
I have a better way!
How does 80-20 work?
The secret is mindful living for mindful eating the 80-20 way.
Choosing your foods wisely and allowing your indulgences even more wisely.
5 More Tips to Mindful Eating the 80-20 Way:
- Eat mindfully – put away the distractions of reading, watching TV, catching up on Facebook or emails while eating so you can focus on the pleasure of the food set before you.
- Help yourself out by drinking a glass of water about 10 minutes before sitting down to your meal or having that cocktail and appetizer. This also helps you include your daily water intake. Drink another glass of water 30 minutes after your meal.
- Eat until you’re just 80% full. By eating slowly, taking note of the flavors and textures of your food, and setting your fork down after every few bites, you’ll become conscious of that “sweet spot” where you feel mostly full but recognize that continuing to eat is likely to result in discomfort or indigestion. Besides, if you’re out for a special meal, you really may want to save room for dessert. Instead of having the “finish your plate” mentality, divide your meal in the beginning into half and take the second half home!
- Share dessert and reserve desserts for only 20% of your meals at the most! Choose the dessert you really want – but split it with someone. The first couple of bites satisfy the taste and the craving for sweetness – the rest becomes more added sugar and calories. I’ve also found that the less sugar I include in my diet, the less I tolerate the really sugar laden desserts and treats. I’ve become more discerning and choose quality, too!
- If you choose alcoholic libations, remember that alcohol has calories and sugar too – so choose wisely. Wine, especially red wine, is one of the smartest choices. To maximize your 80-20 rule, avoid drinking alcohol during the week – save it for your weekend indulgence and then enjoy that glass of wine or a light cocktail with dinner. The 20% indulgence can make you feel like a million bucks! And be sure to chase your alcohol with more water!