I realized a few weeks ago just how much the habit of practicing self care matters.
So, today I first want to encourage you to start the practice of daily self-care
- Start your day first with a glass of pure, fresh water – before you put anything into your stomach. You’ll feel awake more quickly, think more clearly, and feel more refreshed when you hydrate your brain. You see there are only three things that cross the stomach walls immediately into your blood stream: water, alcohol and some drugs.
- Have a lemon elixir next to help support your liver! Here’s my recipe: mix the juice of half a lemon and 1 tsp. Bragg’s apple cider vinegar into a glass of water. If desired, you can stir in 1 tsp. raw honey and a dash of cinnamon.
- Eat breakfast – a healthy one. It can be as simple as a smoothie. Having breakfast helps fuel our bodies for the morning so we have more energy…not just being stimulated by a cup of coffee.
- Drink enough water for your body size: rule of thumb is half your body weight in ounces. So for example, if you weigh 160 pounds, your body requires 80 ounces of water. You’ll be surprised how good you feel just by drinking the right amount of water.
- Move your body! Movement supports so many functions in the body. Jump on a rebounder for 10-15 minutes will get your lymph system going (it’s our body’s natural sewage system). Take a 20 minute brisk walk which supports bone health, respiration, lymph, and helps you get some Vitamin D.
- Turn off all electronics one hour before bed so your mind can unwind.
- Practice meditation daily – five minutes of quiet time daily is amazing.
- Practice yoga stretches – practicing simple yoga stretches on a regular basis will do your body wonders. Start with 3 times a week … pretty soon you’ll be craving it every day. DVDs for beginners with AM PM yoga stretches are available for less than $10 on Amazon.com. AM PM Yoga for Beginners by Rodney Yee and Patricia Walding is my favorite to recommend for newbies to Yoga. You don’t need to go to a studio and a short 5 minute meditation is included!
- Take a detox bath once a week – Pour 1 cup Epsome salts per each 50 pounds you weigh into a hot bath. Add lavender essential oil, if desired. Relax for 20 minutes, adding hot water as needed….leave the soap aside for now. After 20 minutes, towel off and wrap yourself in a robe or blanket and relax to sweat for 15 minutes or so. Rinse the salt from your body in a warm to tepid shower. Get in your jammies and hop into bed for a good night’s sleep.
- Give yourself a foot massage each night. To a little bit of coconut oil add 1 drop of lavender essential oil and apply to the soles of your feet. Then give your entire foot a rub. You’ve been walking on them all day and they deserve some attention!
- Start a Gratitude Journal – write down at least 3 things for which you’re grateful each day. It can be something as simple as noticing a lady bug on a leaf.
- Smile at yourself in the mirror every day and say “I love you.”
Take time to develop the art of your self care. It matters.